I am a 100% commission-I only earn money when someone likes what I present and I “Close that deal”. So what does that exactly mean- well I work for free a lot. I do a lot of research, create marketing programs, write commercials, spend money up front…basically do all the work on the HOPE they want to work with my properties. When they do its like your birthday, new years eve and a first kiss..all wrapped into once…its magical. It’s awesome, and it doesn’t happen everyday.
So what can you do to help make that exciting moment of closing the sale happen more often. Here are a list of things I have done ( some of which I have done as recently as this morning).
- Drop off mini pastries with a note ” it would be sweet if we could work together” (I did this one- just this morning). Food is always a hit.
- Create items that will live in your prospects office like a calendar, note pad, coffee mug so your business name is seen regularly and they think of you when buying time happens.
- Spend time using the resources you have to share information to help your prospect. Market data, industry articles, white papers etc
- Thoughtful connections- sending Disney on Ice tickets because you remembered his daughter wanted to go, a plant or note for a business milestone like an anniversary or expansion.
- Be there when they really need you- if they are having a big event and are short handed go help out. This is a big commitment, but you will learn more about the prospects business and hopefully prove to be a valuable member of the team.
There are lots of things you could do or try, depending on your industry. Here are a few things I have learned over the years.
- People are genuinely busier today than they were 30 years ago. As sales people, we need to be a little more patient and creative to get their attention.
- Some people want to be “courted”- they want to feel that you really want their business and will be there through the full business cycle.
- The bigger the sale, the longer the sales cycle- finding ways to stay top of mind during a long approval process is beneficial.
If you TRULY believe that you can help their business and you genuinely believe they WANT to do business with you- keep at it. Try, try and try again until you have your Happy Birthday, New Years Eve -first kiss moment!
If I can help with your specific sales challenge feel free to email me.